Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year's Resolve


New Year's resolutions set many of us up for failure.   We make our list:  loose weight, exercise weekly, work less, play more.  My list almost always includes loosing weight and exercising.  But this year I am not setting myself up for failure.  This year as I look at the blank pages of my 2012 calendar, I ask myself, what will make this year the best year possible?    I am starting my year off with one word: RESOLVE.  Resolve to me means living in a state of determination to stay the course no matter the setbacks, no matter the disappointments, no matter the challenges.   RESOLVE leaves no room for failure because no matter my circumstances I will persevere. It is not a list but an attitude that I seek this year.

We are all on mission and are put on this earth for a special purpose.  I don’t know that I have ever met anyone on mission that said it was easy.  We have a dark force working in this world, Satan who comes to kill, steal and destroy.   But we have a Savior whose birth we just celebrated.  Jesus came to give us power, strength and yes, resolve to accomplish our mission.  Some of us know our calling crystal clear, others don’t, or don’t wish to submit.  I am blessed to know exactly what God has called me to do.  I heard something so life changing years ago, when I lived in a state of confusion.  We don’t seek a God that hides from us.  He tells us over and over in scripture that we knock and the door is opened, that we ask and receive, that He gives good gifts to His children, that He sent the Holy Spirit to be our comforter, our guide, our peace. 

I spent my early adulthood asking God what I was put on this earth to do.  I wondered if I was pleasing God.  I spent many sleepless nights asking God to give me a sign.  Sadly, when I heard His voice and I had the knowing in my heart, I was afraid of the task.    I wrestled with God, just like Jacob.  Fortunately God had great patience with me and gave me physical confirmations that I could never deny.   In my state of fear, disobedience and rebellion I begged for bigger signs.  Looking back that was so disrespectful to the God of the universe.  I heard His voice.  I knew what He had called me to do many years before I said yes Lord.  Yet I tested, yet I wanted to be 1000% sure that I heard correctly, I felt inadequate and unprepared for the task ahead.  

So today, after being on the path to fulfill my mission for several years, I want to share helpful hints that I believe will help you find your RESOLVE in 2012:

  1.  Ask God what is your purpose and take action
  2. Focus on listening to God’s voice, pray and obey
  3. Reject the spirit of fear:  F.E.A.R.  FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL
  4. Make a plan and write it down
  5. Expect supernatural miracles to accomplish your mission
  6. Stay the course no matter the obstacles
  7. Know that you are chosen for such a time as this
  8. Shake off disappointments quickly and stay positive
  9. Surround yourself with positive people
  10. Celebrate victories, both large and small

God does not call the equipped, He equips the called.  I believe God is truly looking for a willing and surrendered heart.  In 2003 God spoke to me to write a book.  In 2007 I published my life story of 14 years of horrific abuse at the hands of my stepfather trembling at how my family would receive my disclosure to the world.  None of my fears came to pass and I have received hundreds of responses from readers who say my book helped them.  In 2008 I founded VOICE Today, trembling with fear, with more questions than answers of how, and who and what?  Today we have reached millions with a message of child sexual abuse awareness, prevention and healing.    

I gaze at my blank 2012 calendar with great anticipation and expectation of lives that will be impacted for good because of my resolve and the resolve of the VOICE Today staff to never give up on being a voice for the voiceless.  Those who are hurting in the aftermath of sexual abuse need our determination and resolve to help them find their voice.    We are committed to tell the world about the child sexual abuse epidemic, how we can not only predict but prevent child sexual abuse to protect children and how survivors need compassion and nurturing to heal.    We will never waiver in our commitment to this critical cause.  If you have a committed heart to make the world a safe place for children and a healing place for survivors please join The VOICE MOVEMENT at www.voicetoday.org.  We need your resolve!

No comments:

Post a Comment